Noé – Főtáv Resort
Gergely Zsolt, Sattler Anna
Gergely és Sattler Építész Iroda
1039 Budapest, Királyok útja 301
Budapest Award of Architectural Excellence, award certificate, 1995
The site is located on the banks of the Danube, beyond the Római-part (Roman Coast), opposite the southern tip of Szentendrei-sziget (Szentendre Island). In the interwar period, a unique, unified architectural environment was created in the area in service of water sports. The resort of Főtáv was built next to the houses that have since been heavily worn and outdated, and undeservedly converted, but the new building continued the best traditions of the area in a worthy way.
Water sports life on the Római-part began in 1928, when the Budapest Public Works Council permitted the construction of boathouses at a distance of 20 fathoms (38 m) from the coast: „to make the Római-part a popular resort and recreation place for the wider public, in addition to developing a lively rowing life, the traffic connections of which – on the one hand, leading to the inner areas of the capital, on the other hand, with the continuation of Nánási út, reaching beyond the border of Budapest, possibly even to Szentendre – would entail the boom of the whole area, generating a desire to build and settle down. This would enrich the capital with a healthy, suburban district.” The axis of the one-storey building with a built-in attic is parallel to the Danube. Raising the middle tract on pillars created a connection between the garden and the water. In order to provide a direct connection to the garden for the communal spaces on the ground floor (ship's storage, reception and buffet, loud community space, changing room-shower-sauna) the building was sat on the ground level. The two upper floors satisfy the needs of quieter resort functions (18 rooms), corporate trainings and hospitality. The embankment blocks the view of the Danube from the ground floor, and only half of the river can be seen even from the first-floor level, therefore a lookout terrace was built in the attic. The straight-flight staircase, half of which leads to the lookout tower on outdoor openwork stairs, uses the tools of architecture to prepare the visitor for the panorama. The brick-clad building, which carries the best traditions of water sports life on the Római-part, is an outstanding example both for its architectural values and its relationship to the surroundings.
Show on map
Villa in Hűvösvölgy 🡢 Klapka Center Service House 🡢 Corvin Corner Office Center 🡢 Holocaust Documentation Center 🡢 Pázmány Péter Catholic University Faculty of Information Technology 🡢 Passive house with 100 flats 🡢 Hotel Lánchíd 19 Design 🡢 Bánáti + Hartvig Architecture Office 🡢 Pala house 🡢 Graphisoft Park, Building „M” 🡢 Renovation and conversion of the Ligeti Studio-Villa 🡢 Housing estate on Csejtei utca 🡢